My grandfather's job when he was a teenager was helping his uncle at a butcher shop. There he learned the skillful and delicate art of sharpening knives. A skill he taught my father, who still can't do it half as well as grandpa could. Growing up, my paternal grandparents lived five hours away in Northern Ontario. They had a house on a lake - a house that is now my cottage. When they would visit us my dad would always have grandpa sharpen our knives. One Christmas he gave my dad his very own knife sharpening tool.
Tonight my dad was sharpening a knife to carve a roast with. The sound of blade grinding against the honing steel is familiar to me. It reminds me of visits with my grandparents - visits which were so few and far apart when they lived up north.
Another thing that I do each fall, or at least every fall since my grandfather passed in 2007, is pick up chestnuts off the ground. My grandfather always got a new chestnut every autumn for his pocket. It was his good luck charm.
[If I were in Inception, my totem would be a chestnut.]
I never asked him why he did this. It just made sense to me as a kid. Maybe his father did it? Or his uncle? Maybe his Grandfather from Pennsylvania, or his other Grandfather from Glasgow? These stories are lost with them.
So I pick up chestnuts every fall, and my dad sharpens knives.

What a great post! Do you have the edible chestnuts? I didn't get to try those 'till I was in Switzerland. The only kind we have here are horse chestnuts. Very very not good to eat :(. Haha.
ReplyDeleteThanks Kris - I don't believe these are the edible sort. Were they good?
ReplyDeleteYou have a cottage by a lake? Jealous.
ReplyDeleteIt's great that you and your dad have both continued some of your grandfather's hobbies, or habits. The only thing I can think of that's remotely similar is leaving a tiny amount of Guinness at the bottom of the glass 'for the little people', as my grandad has done every time I've seen him drink it. I'm not a huge Guinness fan as it's like a three-course meal in a pint glass, but whenever I do I leave a bit behind.
I love the Guiness story. That's a cute tradition.
ReplyDeleteYes, my family owns a cottage up north. If you want to see what that looks like, go look here:
http://websterslaw.blogspot.com/2009/08/tilden-lake-in-photographs.html
I really like it when you do these kinds of posts, Allison. I like all the post-crossing, i-tunes playlists, and the like, but you're a really good writer when you do these "moment in time" style.
ReplyDeleteOh, hi Allison! :)
Thanks Martin. Urgh I know i should write more like this, but I feel like if i force it they would sound too contrived. I find these little moments every so often. Be patient, Ill write more like this. It doesn't come easy. I'm glad you like this ;-)
ReplyDeleteAs for the silly-ish blog thing I do, that's part of me too.
And Hi Martin!